1.08.2009

Obituaries...

When Obedient Sons had reason to jump for joy

Yes, readers, it is with much sorrow and deep regret that I have to announce the fashion industry's most recent deaths (victims, unfortunately, of our evil recession). Remember a few months ago when I introduced you to one of my favorite magazines, New York Look? Well, it's glossy pages don't float and those beautiful shots of Lanvin and Balenciaga weren't enough to keep it above water. New York Magazine is halting production of New York Look indefinately.

Next, CDFA/ Vogue Fashion Fund nominated design label Obedient Sons and Daughters have lost all financial backing and will not be presenting a collection for F/W 2009. This is extremely sad and a real reflection of how our economy is having a devastating effect on small, independent designers who don't have a big business conglomerate (Liz Claiborne, LVMH, etc.) to fall back on. Obedent Sons and Daughters is actually the reason I was able to go to New York Fashion Week this past fall (or at least their PR agency, Nouveau, is anyway), so it's such a shame that they won't be around any longer.

While I do wish this Obituary section wasn't necessary, it doesn't look as though I'll be stopping anytime soon. So, as long as there's a fashion death to be reported I'll be giving them to you. That's all for today. R.I.P

No comments: